Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When I was walkigto work this morning I saw a dog, a large boxer, wandering idly about the main street. I got that feeling, that "I could just walk away, I'm in a hurry, I've got lots to do this morning, what responsibility is it of mine?" feeling.  That feeling made me feel shitty, so I thought, the least I can do is to check the dog's collar and give its owners a call, let them know where their dog was.

I followed the dog and asked a few nearby people if it belonged to them. Negative. I was trying to get close to the dog when a man walking two small yapper type dogs approached. The boxer was very interested in the small dogs, and their owner didn't seem too concerned. At least until the boxer, predictably, decided the yapper dogs needed to be dealt with, and went for the throat of the closest one. 

I am ashamed to say that I hesitated out of fear, and so I wasn't able to get the boxer off the small dog until it had done some serious damage. When I had a hold of the Boxer I screamed at the man, who was still standing about like a fuckwit, to pick up his dog. He didn't. He just walked away, dragging the small dog ebhind him. Literally dragging. The small dog was in shock or worse, and the man hadn't seemed to notice that it was unable to stand, let alone walk. He was dragging it along the concrete on its side. I shouted at him again that his dog was hurt, and he turned around, and seeing that the dog could not stand on its feet, he picked it up and walked away.

Which left me holding the boxer, not knowing what the fuck to do next. The owner of a nearby shop was standing outside, arms folded, looking on cheerfully. I asked if she sold rope in her shop. She nodded. I asked if I could have some of her rope, she nodded, but didn't move. I asked again. The same response. "I'll buy you some rope" said a woman I hadn't noticd previously. And she went in adn bought me a lead. I was in a bit of a fluster, and the lovely lady, whose name was Julia, stood nearby (she was afraid of the dog so wouldn't come too close) and between us we managed to find the number of the closest vet, call them and be told all we could do was call the RSPCA or bring the dog into the vet. 

Funnily enough, it was the same vet that treated the dog Asha attacked a few months ago. God knows what they think of me there. 

Anyway, I was too scared to walk the dog through the park and up to the vet, as she was a strong dog, and had already proven her aggressiveness. I haven;t walked a dog since Asha's attack. So I accosted the next man I saw (Random guy who turned out to be Nick, student, local, on his way to train station to go to uni) and asked if he would  mind walking with me to the vet. If only Nick had been around ten minutes earlier. He agreed immediately, and we walked to the vet, dropped the dog off, and turned around and walked back to Epping. When we went our separate ways, I thanked him and said that I was sorry if I made him late for his class. He said:
"That's OK, it was an ethics class anyway".

There is so much rant inside me, but I've run out of energy.

Thanks Nick and Julia, who helped when everyone else kept walking.






No comments:

Post a Comment